Originally uploaded by wjharrison77.
Holidays start tomorrow! Six weeks and three days free from a 50 mile (roundtrip) commute and piles of marking begins at 12 noon.
To celebrate the beginning of our holiday, D and I are going to leave school and drive straight to the west coast (Achnaherd, probably) to camp on the beach for a couple of nights. We’ll be bringing our bikes, a BBQ and a bottle of bubbly. Wonderful!
In keeping with my summery mood I offer the following recipe. Not only is it light and quick to prepare, the tangy but sweet sauce is also a beautiful golden colour. Perfect for a June evening. :)
Ginger and Turmeric Fish
2 large fillets of firm white fish (I used Pacific cod), skinned and cut into large chunks
1 tblspn walnut oil
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
3 spring onions, cut into 2cm pieces
Thumb of ginger, peeled and very finely chopped
1 tblspn brown sugar
1 tblspn fish sauce
1 tblspn turmeric
Juice of ½ a lemon
250 ml chicken or vegetable stock
Generous grind of black pepper
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
2 tblspn dried mushrooms
1 tblspn cornflour
- Soak the mushrooms in a 20ml of warm water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan over a medium low heat. Add garlic, ginger, spring onion and sugar. Cook for 3 mins until flavours have started to blend.
- Add stock, turmeric, fish sauce, lemon juice and pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 mins.
- Drain the mushrooms (reserving water). Add the mushrooms and yellow pepper to the pan. Cook for 2 mins.
- Mix the cornflour with the reserved mushroom liquid and mix to a paste. Add to the pan and stir well.
- Add the chunks of fish to the liquid and stir carefully to coat fish in the golden sauce. Cook for 3 mins more.
- Serve with plain rice.