Recently Antonia and Megan tagged me for a “Seven Things Meme”. I’ve completed this one a couple of times before but memes are great for weeks like this. They’re fun and they don’t require a lot of thought. So here I go again.
1. As I’ve said before, I sleep walk fairly regularly. In my most recent sleep walking event a tortoise scuttled out from under my pillow snapping its jaws at me angrily. I leapt out of bed and began shouting on D to come help me deal with the creature. He did so but then had to go back into the livingroom and explain to his beer-drinking, ski-DVD-watching friends why his psycho girlfriend was screaming about reptiles in the middle of the night.
2. I once deeply offended a stranger at a wedding. I’d had too much champagne and when the farmer sitting across from me at the table declared that his grandfather was a Westie I almost wet myself laughing. He meant “from the western isles of Scotland”; I couldn’t stop thinking ”West Highland Terrier”.
3. Whilst living in a small town in northern Japan, strangers (mostly teenage girls) used to shout “chisai kao” at me in the street. Chisai kao means small face. It was odd but I quite liked it for a while. Then I got irritated that I couldn’t go anywhere without being shouted at in the street. Being called “small face” was one of the reasons I left Japan.
4. Another time in Japan I went to a nearby lake, Shikotsuko, and asked another foreigner to take a photo of me and my friend. After he’d had done so we chatted and I discovered that, not only was he also Scottish, he was my best friend’s boyfriend’s next door neighbour back in Aberdeenshire!
5. I’ve been 5″10 (178 cm) since I was 13. In my teenage years I hated it and used to read medical journals hoping to discover an operation to make me shorter. I now love being tall as, being very nosey, it enables me to see more of what’s going on.
6. My best friend’s brother is called Matt and he’s married to a girl called Kat and they used to have a couple of lodgers called Nat and Matt. AND three out of the four of them had birthdays on February 14th. Really.
7. Eating dinner together every night is helping my family through a tough period. Last night I made macaroni cheese for the first time since Home Economics class in High School and we ate it with toasted white bread. It took me right back to my childhood.