Until this evening I had never made nor tasted a nut roast before. Not terribly sure why. I love nuts and I love roasts. It has taken Johanna’s event to spur me into veggie action and, oh my, am I glad it did. My first attempt was (if you excuse my immodesty) absolutely delicious.
I can see some more nutty roasty experiments coming on again very, very soon…
Cumin, Carrot and Cashew Nut Roast
(serves 4 as a starter, light lunch or side)
200g carrots, peeled and cut into 2 cm pieces
1 tspn tahini
1 small onion, very finely chopped
1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
1 tblspn olive oil
100g cashew nuts, finely ground in a blender
50g wholemeal breadcrumbs
1.5 tspns ground cumin
Salt and pepper
- Place carrots in a small pan of salted water and bring to the boil. Simmer until carrots are cooked through. Drain and mash the carrots with the tahini.
- Gently fry the onion and garlic in olive oil until soft and translucent.
- Add the carrot mash and fried onions to the breadcrumbs and cashews. Sprinkle with cumin, squeeze over lemon juice and season. Mix together well using your hands.
- Rub 4 ramekins with softened butter and dust with flour. Spoon in the nut mixture and press down firmly.
- Cook in a 180oC preheated oven for 30 mins.
- Loosen roasts with a knife and tip out onto a plate. Serve with a green salad side.