My first souffle. And it worked! And it was divine!
So proud I could pop.
(serves 5/6 as a starter)
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
Pinch of mace
150ml thick bechamel sauce made using SR flour rather than plain – I use this method. Half the amounts then reduce the amount of milk again by about 50ml.
2 eggs, yolks and whites seperated
1 tblspn chopped parsley
Optional – blue cheese or goats cheese or parmesan
Finely grated Parmesan
- Toss the squash with a little olive oil, seasoning and mace. Roast in a 200 oC oven for 40 mins until soft and golden brown.
- While the squash is roasting, make the bechamel sauce and set aside.
- Mash the squash, parsley, egg yolks and cheese (if using) together. Mix in the bechamel sauce. Season carefully.
- Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff. Use a metal spoon to fold the egg whites very carefully but thoroughly into the squash mixture.
- Spoon mixture into lightly oiled ramekins until 2/3 full. Sprinkle lightly with parmesan and bake in a bain marie (baking tin with 2m of water in it) for 20 minutes until risen and golden brown.