This is one of our standard winter week-night dinners. Warming, hearty and cheesy.
Tomato & Aubergine Pasta Bake
2 medium aubergine, cut into 2 cm chunks
1 tblspn dried oregano
2 onions, chopped finely
2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
2 tins of tomatoes
Handful of basil leaves, torn up
1 large mozzarella ball, grated
Handful of Parmesan cheese
- Place the aubergine chunks in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Leave for 30 mins then squeeze in a tea-towel to remove excess moisture. This stage is optional but I think it makes for tastier, crisper aubergine.
- Heat the oven to 200 oC. Spread the aubergine out on a couple of baking trays and toss with a little olive oil, some pepper and the oregano. Roast for 20 mins or so until aubergine is golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, make a tomato sauce by sautéing the onion in a little olive oil until soft. Add the garlic and cook a minute more. Stir in the tomatoes. Cook over a medium-low heat for 30 mins until slightly thickened. Stir in the basil leaves.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water. Drain.
- Stir the tomato sauce and the aubergine through the pasta. Spoon half of the pasta into a oven dish then add half the mozzarella cheese. Spoon the rest of the pasta on top of the first layer and top with the remaining mozzarella and all of the Parmesan.
- Can be cooked straight away at 200 oC for 15 mins or chilled and heated up the next day in 180 oC oven for 40 mins. Either way the cheese should be golden and the sauce should be bubbling around the edges.