I realise that it’s a bit late for a left-over turkey recipe but here it is anyway. Just as good with leftover roast chicken!
Turkey, Leek & Bacon Pie
200g bacon lardons or pancetta
2 large leeks, white parts chopped up (reserve greens for making stock)
1/2 tspn dried thyme
400g turkey or chicken torn into chunks (preferably brown meat)
Olive or vegetable oil
1 heaped tablespoon plain flour
600ml hot turkey or chicken stock
Salt and pepper
- Over a medium heat, fry the bacon lardons in a tiny bit of oil until their fat is released and the bacon is crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the leek and thyme to the pan and fry in the bacon fat until the leek has softened. Remove from the pan and set aside with the bacon.
- There should be approximately a tablespoon of fat in the bottom of the frying pan. Add another tablespoon of oil then the flour. Stir to form a roux. Gradually add the hot stock a ladle full at a time (stirring well to remove lumps) until a thick clear gravy forms.
- Add the turkey, leek and bacon to the gravy and simmer for 10 mins. Season carefully.
- Spoon the stew into an appropriately sized casserole dish and top with puff pastry. Bake for 25 mins in a 200 oC oven until the pastry is golden and crisp. Sometimes I prefer to cut the puff into squares and bake it separately on an oven tray to make it extra crispy.