Inverness is a lovely place to live. It’s small enough to feel friendly yet big enough to have privacy. It offers a reasonable amount of restaurants and shops but is only three hours away from the major Scottish cities when these simply won’t do. And, of course, we are surrounded by stunning countryside ranging from beaches to forests to mountains. Perfect? Not quite.
My gripe is this: there are no good Chinese takeaways in Inverness! This is a major problem when one of your favourite foods is spring rolls.
Rather than cry I have addressed this issue by making my own and, I have to say, they are pretty good! They are baked rather than fried and are full of fresh vegetables making them a healthier option than the takeaway version.
Singapore noodles will have to be tackled soon too…
Fairly Healthy Spring Rolls
One large carrot, peeled and VERY thinly sliced length ways then again into thin strands
150g spring greens, centres removed and thinly sliced
6 spring onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Small thumb of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
One red chilli, very thinly sliced
1 tblspn ground nut oil
1 tblspn sesame oil
2 tblspn soy sauce
1 tblspn sugar
Filo pastry sheets, 20 cm x 20cm
Flour paste (made from 1 tblspn flour mixed into paste with 1 tblspn water)
- Heat oil in a wok over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and stirfry for 30 seconds.
- Add spring greens, carrots and beansprouts. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the spring onions, soy sauce, sugar and seasoning. Cook for 1 minute more.
- Tip mixture into sieve and leave to drain for 30 minutes.
- Lie pastry sheets out as diamonds. Add a tablespoon of the mixture 5cm up from the corner and roll the mixture over until 2/3 of the pastry is rolled. Fold in the edges and continue to roll. Seal corner of pastry to the roll with a blob of flour paste.
- Place rolls on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Brush with sesame oil and place in the oven (190oC) for 30 mins or until golden brown.
Serve with sweet chilli sauce or plain soy sauce.