I’m off on holiday tomorrow. First stop Karlstad, Sweden then onto Turku, Finland with a quick stop in my beloved Stockholm enroute. It’s always exhilarating to go overseas but this trip is extra exciting as I get to spend lots of time with some very good friends who I haven’t seen in a long time. Hurrah!
Shamed by Brianna’s good example of using up everything in her fridge before leaving Japan, I have tried my best to do the same. The result was really very good indeed: a sort of pilaf with green lentils rather than rice.
Spiced Lentils and Greens
(for one, very rough quantities!)
75g puy lentils
1 cardamon pod
1 cinnamon stick
1 tblspn ground nut oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tspn ginger, finely chopped
1/4 tspn turmeric
1/2 tspn garam masala
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1 courgette, quartered lengthways then cut into chunks
Handful of broad beans
Two handfuls of spinach
Fresh coriander and yogurt to serve
- Cook the lentils along with the cinnamon, cardamon, peppercorns and bay leaf according to instructions. Drain and remove the spices.
- Meanwhile, fry the onion in the oil until just brown.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for two more minutes.
- Add the spices and stir. Fry for one minute.
- Add the courgettes and broadbeans and cook until courgettes start to brown and are just cooked though.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Add the lentils and combine gentle until heated through.
- Serve topped with yogurt and fresh coriander.