I don’t have expensive tastes. The clothes I wear are all from High Street shops; the wine I drink is rarely over £6; the car I drive is a reliable but unassuming Punto and the restaurants I (genuinely) prefer do not require me to take out a second mortgage. However, I have very recently discovered that it is ridiculously easy to make my own nut butter and rather than use this new found knowledge to turn some cheap-as-chips, bird-seed-counter nuts into my beloved peanut butter, I began experimenting with more expensive nuts. Macadamia, brazil, pistachio, even pine nuts – I tried them all. The following is my favourite.
Thanks to Sophie for the idea. 🙂
Pistachio and Almond Butter
100g pistachio nuts, shelled
50g ground almonds
10-20 ml olive oil
Pinch of salt
- Shell the nuts and place on baking tray.
- Roast in oven for 5 mins at 180oC.
- Rub skin off nuts using rough cloth.
- Blitz cleaned nuts in a food processor until grainy.
- Add almonds and blitz again.
- Add olive oil and salt. Blitz until a smooth paste is created.
- Store in an air tight container. Stir before use.
- Use sparingly!
P.S. Earlier in the week I discovered that Kayln of the fabulous Kalyn’s kitchen had given my blog a mention. Apparently it was Blog Day and she was celebrating by sharing five of the blogs she had recently discovered. Was going to do the exact same but couldn’t narrow it down to five! Instead, can I point you towards the right of the screen where you will find some of my regular reads. The list is getting longer every day. 🙂