Despite having sworn off buying cookbooks, I bought the second Moro book recently, Casa Moro. No regrets here. Already I’ve made the vegetable paella, the white bean and chorizo soup and some warmly spiced lamb chops. They’ve all been exceptionally good.
My favourite recipe by far is the Warm Pumpkin and Chickpea Salad with Tahini. We’ve had it several times already alongside the lamb chops mentioned above or eaten on its own. Each time we have fought over the leftovers.
Below is my own tweaked version of the dish. Highly recommended.
Roasted Squash and Chickpea Salad (adapted from Casa Moro)
1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 garlic clove, crushed
3/4 tspn ground allspice
400g tin chickpeas
1 small red onion, finely chopped
Handful of fresh coriander and parsley, finely chopped
For the dressing:
1 garlic clove
1/4 tspn salt
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tblspn tahini
2 tblspn water
3 tblspn yogurt
Extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 220 oC.
- Add squash, garlic, allspice and seasoning to a baking tray. Coat your hands well in olive oil and toss the ingredients together until the squash is well coated with flavoured oil. Roast in the oven for 20-25 mins (tossing occasionally) until soft and bronzed.
- Meanwhile, warm the chickpeas in a small pan then drain.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients tasting to see if you need more lemon juice, tahini or yogurt. You’ll know.
- In a large bowl, toss together the squash, chickpeas, onion and chopped herbs.
- Serve with large dollops of tahini yogurt dressing.