I’ve had an absolutely cracking weekend. For starters, my bestest friend Genna and her spaniels (Rufus and Zack) were around for the whole weekend – always wonderful.
We also had the first (last?) warm days of my summer holiday and spent every moment of it outside walking, eating, drinking and watching the pups play.
And, finally, we went to see Rod Stewart in concert at Caley Stadium on Saturday night and had an absolute blast dancing and singing like idiots to all his cheesy hits.
It’s now raining, I’m tired and I’m covered in bruises from playing with the dogs and dancing into various objects. Still smiling happily to myself though.
Here’s what we ate on Saturday evening to prepare us for the night ahead. The best meatballs I have ever made, no competition at all. 🙂
Meatballs in Tomato Sauce (adapted from Bill Granger)
Serves 4 generously
For the meatballs:
500g minced beef
1 onion, very finely chopped or whizzed in a food processor
Handful of finely chopped parsley
Handful of finely chopped coriander
1 tspn paprika
1 tspn cumin
Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
1 cup of breadcrumbs
1 tpsn salt
1/2 tspn pepper
400g pasta – I used rigatoni
- Mix together all of the meatball ingredients and shape into small balls (about half the size of a golf ball). If possible, chill overnight to let the flavours combine.
- Heat the tomato sauce until it’s not quite simmering but occasionally plipping and plopping.
- Heat some olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium high heat and brown the meatballs in batches. Once browned add to the tomato sauce and cook gently for an hour, partially covered with a lid so the sauce doesn’t lose too much moisture.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water until al dente, drain and add to the meatballs and tomatoes.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese and a green salad.