Traditionally we Scots are supposed to hollow out turnips on Halloween and make them into lanterns with scary faces. Have you ever tried to hollow out a raw turnip? It’s not easy. Not easy at all. So, I for one am glad that the North American version, using a softer and already partly hollow pumpkin, is becoming the lantern of choice over here too.
There was very little swearing to be heard as I carved this year AND I was left with a heap of seeds and flesh to play with. Fantastic.
Here’s what I did with the seeds.
Smoky Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Scoop the seeds out of the pumpkin and rinse to get rid of most of the stringy bits. Pat dry.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 oC .
- Drizzle a little olive oil on a baking tray and toss the seeds in it to coat.
- Sprinkle generously with smoked salt and smoked paprika. Go easy on the cayenne.
- Roast in the oven, tossing occasionally, until dried out and crisp (about 15 mins).
- Eat in private so you don’t have to share.😉