I’ve left this post rather late. Raspberry season (and summer) is fast coming to an end. There are still a few berries to be found in the raspberry hedges though and bramble time is just around the corner . Brambles would work perfectly here too, I’m certain.
Light and fluffy, sweet and pretty, these little desserts are like a cross between a soufflé and a meringue. Just make sure your serve them right away so their puffiness is at its best. 🙂
Pretty Raspberry Soufflés (adapted from Nigel Slater’s Real Fast Puddings)
25g caster sugar
4 medium egg whites
50g caster sugar
- Use a food processor to whizz together 350g of the raspberries and 25g of caster sugar. Strain through a sieve. Reserve juice and discard seeds. Set aside.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add the sugar a little at a time, whisking very briefly after each addition.
- Pour half of the raspberry juice into the egg whites and fold gently. Do not fully combine! You want a ripple effect rather than a uniform raspberry flavour/colour.
- Spoon the mixture into buttered ramekins and bake in a 180 oC oven for 10-15 mins until risen and golden on top.
- Serve drizzled with the remaining juice and sprinkled with mint and the leftover raspberries.