I feel I ought to tell you something before sharing this recipe. Before this year, I had absolutely no idea what meatloaf actually was.
Really. It’s not (as far as I’m aware) something that’s popularly eaten in Scotland. I had heard about it on American TV programmes and films and, in my head, I had a vague notion that it might be a loaf of bread with flecks of mince through it and that didn’t sound terribly appealing. Turns out it’s more like a huge sliceable burger. Hmmm, that doesn’t sound particularly appetising either, now that I write it down…
Well, fellow meatloaf virgins, you’re going to have to just trust me on this one: it’s good. Especially when bulked out with lots of veg like this one is and served with a smokey tomato & paprika sauce (this but with a teaspoon of smoked paprika and a glug of red wine).
Spinach & Garlic Meatload
(Adapted from The New York Times Cookbook)
(serves 4 – with enough leftover for a couple of rolls)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 celery sticks, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
250g minced beef
250g minced pork
1/2 tspn nutmeg
1 slice of bread, whizzed into breadcrumbs
A generous sprinking of salt & pepper
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and add the onion and celery. Cook until the onion is translucent then add the garlic. Stir then set aside to cool while you…
- Drop the spinach into a pan of boiling water and pop the lid on. Leave for a minute to wilt then drain. Cool slightly then squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the spinach then chop roughly.
- Add the spinach, onion mixture, meats, breadcrumbs, spices and egg into a bowl. Season well then mix together well using your hand. I recommend testing the seasoning by frying a tiny ball of the mixture in the frying pan and tasting to see if you need more salt or pepper.
- Shape the mixture into the shape of a slightly deflated American football then wrap in bacon rashers.
- Place on a baking tray and cook in a 180 oC oven for 1hr 15 mins.
- Cool for 10 mins then slice. Serve with a plain or smokey tomato sauce.
- Roast in a …. oven for….
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 mins. Slice thickly and serve topped with the smokey tomato sauce.