(Thanks to Katrina for the photo!)
This is a lovely starter to make for guests. Not only can everything apart from the chips be prepared a day in advance (in fact, the flavours improve after a night in the fridge), it’s also pretty healthy and is a nice social start to dinner with friends.
Last time I made this I followed it with lamb tagine with couscous and salad for a main and a pistachio cake with yoghurt for dessert. It was really rather good, if I do say so myself!
Middle Eastern Dips with Pita Chips
(serves 4 generously)
6 pita bread
2 garlic cloves
2 tblspn tahini
1 small lemon
Salt and pepper
- Heat an oven to 220 oC. Prick the aubergine all over (do NOT forget this part unless you want to be scraping exploded aubergine off you oven for hours) and place on a baking tray. Cook in the oven for 45 mins until all squidgy inside.
- Let aubergine cool slightly then scrap the fleshy insides into a bowl. Add the garlic, tahini and the juice of half a lemon. Mash together thoroughly then season. Add extra lemon juice and seasoning to taste.
- Pour a little extra virgin olive oil over the dip before serving.
4 red peppers
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 tspn chilli powder
1/4 tspn cumin
1 garlic clove, crushed
Squeeze of lemon juice
1 tspn pomegranate molassess (or honey, if it’s easier)
Salt and pepper
- Roast the pepper and remove their skins. I use this method.
- Pop everything except the olive oil and seasoning in a blender. Blend until combined. Season carefully. Turn the blender back on then add oil a little at a time until the mixture becomes a uniform texture
Does the world need another hummus recipe? Possibly… I use this one though (GREAT series of food articles).
Get the nice ones.