I love Nigel Slater. That is all.
Rosemary, Aubergine & Cannellini Bake (adapted from The Kitchen Diaries II)
Serves 2 as a main or 3/4 as a side dish.
200g dried cannellini beans, soaked for at least 12 hours
2 Bay leaves
1 large aubergine, cut into 2cm chunks
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 tspn dried oregano
1 tspn chopped fresh rosemary
400g tin of cherry tomatoes (or chopped tomatoes)
1 thick slice of bread, whizzed into breadcrumbs
Handful of grated Parmesan cheese
Zest of ½ lemon
- Heat oven to 200oC. I like to salt the aubergine at this point. Just sprinkle with salt and leave in a colander for 30 mins. Use a clean tea towel to squeeze out the moisture from the chunks before step 3.
- Add beans to a pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Drain the beans, rinse then cover with water once again and adtd the bay leaves. Bring to the boil then simmer for 40 mins or until beans are just tender.
- Meanwhile, toss the aubergine in a little olive oil and roast for 20-30 mins until golden brown. Keep an eye on them in the oven and move them around every now and again.
- At the same time, fry the onion gently in a little olive oil in a heavy based, oven/stove friendly pot until golden brown. Add the garlic and herbs and cook for another few minutes.
- Add the beans, aubergine, tomatoes and 200ml water to the onions and stir well. Bring to a simmer then remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, lemon zest and parmesan lightly and season with pepper. Sprinkle evenly over bean mixture.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180oC. Bake bean dish for 45 mins until crust is golden and the beans are bubbling.