A really beautiful dish. It makes everyone go “ooooohhhh” both when it’s brought to the table and when they try it. Best served slightly warm rather than hot.
Spring Greens Spanakopita (adapted from A Modern Way to Eat)
1 large leek, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
400g spring greens (stalks removed and roughly chopped)
Zest of ½ lemon
200g feta (crumbled)
3 large eggs
Small bunch of parsley, chopped
1 heaped tblspn chopped dill
6 sheets of filo pastry
Olive oil for brushing
- In a large pan over a medium heat, sauté the leek in little olive oil until soft and silky. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Add the spring greens to the pan along with 2 tablespoons of water. Cook for two minutes until the greens have wilted then add the spinach. Cook for another 3-4 minutes until all the greens are wilted and tender. Remove from the heat and drain in colander lined with muslin or a large sieve. Leave to cool then squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the greens. Don’t skip this step. Soggy spanakopita is not good.
- Add the eggs, crumbled feta, lemon zest and some salt and pepper to a large bowl. Add the cooled greens and mix well to combine.
- Lightly oil a 20cm loose bottomed cake tin. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush each sheet of filo then place it in the tin, gently pushing it down (take care not to rip it!) The filo should rest in the bottom of the pan and hang over the sides. Repeat with the remaining sheets of filo, changing the angle of the sheets so they don’t lie perfectly on top of one another.
- Once all the filo is in the tin, add the greens mixture, again, using a wooden spoon to gently push the mixture down.
- Use your fingers to pull the filo over the top of the mixture, scrunching it to create pretty layers on top. You shouldn’t be able to see any greens once you’re done. If you can, tear up another filo sheet and block the holes. Brush the top with a little more oil.
- Bake in a 200oC oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and push the pie out of the cake tin. Return to the oven and cook until the pie is golden all over (another 10 mins).
- Leave to cool for 30 mins then serve warm.